Human Resources Internship
Internship – Human Resources
$14.00 per hour (DOE)
Description: The purpose of the Human Resources Internship is to provide support to the Human Resources department in a manner that facilitates progressive learning while following a curriculum set forth by the student’s college or university. Job duties include, but are not limited to, answering telephone calls and greeting visitors; assisting with organizational training efforts, maintaining an effective records management system; maintaining HRIS and responding to verifications of employment; receiving and responding to inquiries regarding employment; posting job openings and notices in ATS; coordinating interview and pre-employment processes; providing information and assistance regarding payroll and benefits rules/regulations; assisting in administering various employee benefit programs; performing monthly reconciliation of benefit plans; and explaining filing procedures for COBRA to employees leaving the City’s employment.
For a more detailed, although not inclusive, list of duties, please review Appendix A.
- Rising junior or senior class standing with a declared major in Business Management, Human Resources Management, or a declared minor or specialization in Human Resources Management
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Available to start internship on, or around, December 1, 2020
- Available to work an average of 20 hours per week (flexible scheduling within City Hall business hours)
- Must possess and maintain a valid drivers’ license, and be insurable by the City’s insurance carrier
A resume, cover letter, and official transcripts should be submitted via email no later than December 31, 2020 at 5:00 pm to:
Hannah Noonan, Human Resources Deputy Director
Due to the volume of responses received, Human Resources may not be able to provide a status of consideration. Candidates who have been selected for the next step in the interview process will be notified.
The City of Daphne is a drug-free workplace and all applicants will be subject to drug/alcohol testing.
THE CITY OF DAPHNE IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND
A PARTICIPANT OF E-VERIFY.
Internship – Human Resources
The following duties are assumed to be normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Answers telephone calls and greets visitors
- Participates in recruitment efforts including assisting applicants in completing forms, collecting applications and compiling list of candidates to distribute to department heads, administering testing of new applicants
- Conducting new employee orientation, coordinate pre-employment tests; conducts reference checks; Assists with organizational training efforts
- Maintains an effective records management system; prepares and maintains employee personnel files, scans and indexes personnel records
- Maintains HRIS; assists with employee self-service portal; compiles reports from database as needed, responds to requests for verification of employment
- Receives and responds to inquiries regarding employment, classification, compensation, employee relations, and other HR issues; conducts research
- Performs desk audits to validate job responsibilities; updates and maintains class specifications and job descriptions
- Coordinates interview process; gathers materials in preparation for interview; assists in interviewing candidates for vacant positions as requested
- Assists with coordinating pre-employment screening of selected candidates including, but not limited to, obtaining legal release to conduct background and DMV checks; obtaining required documentation; scheduling drug and alcohol screen; checking references and verifies employment; running background and records checks; compiling information and forwarding to appropriate personnel
- Contacts department heads to provide hiring and start date information; drafts and sends approved offer letters to new hires to coordinate pre-employment process, orientation activities, and official start dates
- May assist with scheduling safety and other employee training; assists with new employee orientation and employee development
- Assists in administering various employee programs and procedures relating to group life insurance, health insurance, health maintenance organizations, disability insurance, pensions, investments, savings, workers compensation, FMLA, ADA, workplace safety, and other human resources programs
- Assists in implementing and administering new benefit programs; organizes and conducts employee information presentations and enrollments
- Explains filing procedures for COBRA to employees leaving the City’s employment